We are sure you have noticed how gas prices have been climbing higher and higher for the past several years. In conversations with our clients, we find that everyone wants to save money on gas, especially with the way the prices have been rising. One of the best ways we have found to save money on gas is to increase your gas mileage.
Here is a list of time that you can follow to improve your gas mileage. Following these tips will not only save you gas, they will also increase the longevity of your vehicle.
1. It is very important to keep your car well maintained. The live of your car can be extended and the performance of your car enhanced if proper maintenance is performed. The first place to start is the owners manual, where you will find the manufactures recommended maintenance steps. Following those things will also help improve the gas mileage of your car.
2. Always keep your car tires properly inflated. Tires that are not inflated properly, don’t roll smoothly, which used more energy, and thus more gas. You can simply save money on gas by having your car tires inflated to the proper level. You can find that information on your tire or the owners manual.
3. Heavily loaded cars consume more gas. It is recommended that unnecessary weigh be removed from the car. The lighter the car load, the less gas it consumes. Carriers can add weight to the car and should be removed when not in use.
4. Drive smoothly. If you use your brakes alot, are constantly speeding up then slowing down, or accelerating abruptly, you are using more fuel. Smooth acceleration, and avoiding stop and go traffic will prolong the life of the car and provide better gas mileage.
5. Always keep the car clean and washed. It is also recommended that you wax the vehicle regularly. This helps by improving aerodynamics and can help in improving gas mileage.
6. Another way to improve gas mileage is by saving on ventilation. A car’s air conditioner uses more gas when being used. The air conditioner may be turned off and the windows opened when driving slowly – weather permitting. However, it is not recommended to open the windows when driving fast since it adds extra pressure and drag on the vehicle which will reduce your gas mileage.
There are many ways gas mileage may be improved. Car owners should be
responsible if they want to save on gas and money. It does not require big sacrifices to improve your vehicle’s gas mileage. All it takes is a little responsibility and proper care of the car. These simple ways can each help improve gas mileage a bit but when done regularly and in combination will help save a great deal of money.